Friday, January 22, 2010

Producing with Passion: Making Films That Change the World

A film that reflects your true passion will carry with it a special energy, a vital sense of purpose that can have an impact for generations.

I continuously find myself using the term passion in my classes. You must have passion for what you do. A story without passion lacks life. Passion is what will carry you through the trenches of production. My students probably get tired of my copious use of the term. But, there is no other expression that so nicely describes the combination of zeal, enthusiasm, dedication, excitement, and borderline obsession it takes to be successful in this business. Late at night when funding is exhausted and the crew has left for a paying job, it is that passion you have for this medium, for your subject, that will continue to offer life support to your film.

When I came across Dorothy Fadiman and Tony Levelle's book Producing with Passion the title alone caught my eye. Written by an Emmy award winning and an Oscar nominated documentary filmmaker, this book definitely made my Christmas list. Now that the holidays have worn off and school is back in session, I am finally finding the time to read it. I've only read the introduction, but it has definitely left me wishing I had more time right now to finish it. I guess I will have to find time to slip away to a quiet coffee house and learn more about "creat{ing} media miracles."

No comments:

Post a Comment