Friday, March 26, 2010

Intermission

This is a bit of a marathon. I usually like to reflect overnight before making post, so forgive any random thoughts.

So, it is intermission. The opera is very interesting. I was wondering how they could possibly tie the two Monteverdi pieces together. Surprisingly, it was seamless. One of the souls released from the underworld became the narrator for the second opera. Cupid and Venus were charming and offered a few moments of comedy.

When I attended the opera as a child, my mother would always describe the plot to us before we attended. You can imagine a child could easily be confused when the opera is in Italian. If you do not have a mother to describe the action to you, fear not, the Portland Opera offers screens with subtitles to help you along in the story.
I am looking forward to the Bernstein piece after intermission. Being a fan of West Side Story, I have high hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment