Friday, March 26, 2010

Before the Show

We are constantly seeing people come up with creative ways to utilize the power of social media. Every time I hear of a new innovative idea, I can’t help but be excited. Portland Opera is hosting blogger nights. They invite bloggers from the area; give them a backstage tour, snacks and a place to blog about the show. Here is an innovative idea that brings opera to a new audience. Tonight I am participating in this adventure.

I love opera, but I have to admit, I haven’t been in years. My mother is a composer. I remember going to the symphony and occasionally the opera as a young girl. I’ve always been fascinated with the opera. I think it comes out of my love for music and theatre.

Tonight’s performance is a triple bill, two works by Monteverdi (II Ballo delle Ingrate and II Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda) and Leonard Bernstein’s Trouble in Tahiti. The three pieces are woven together under the umbrella of love and set in a 50’s atmosphere. The actors of all the operas play minor roles in each piece.

So far, we’ve had fun finding the place, taken a tour backstage, and met the director. The parking is only my fault as it is my first time in downtown Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment