Monday, February 1, 2010

Lord Save Us From Your Followers

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. -Mohandas Gandhi


We live in a world where Christians are full of anger. Every day a new fundamentalist Christian is seen on TV yelling their message of hate. The church is in turmoil. We are founded on love and inclusion, but the irony of it all, we are being torn a part by hate and exclusivity masking as religion. We are exploding from the inside out and driving people away at an alarming rate.

It's time to stop!

We need to get out of our Sunday clothes, take down the banners, put away the communion plate and get out into the world. We need to stop preaching and start showing. It's not going to be easy. In fact, it will probably be painful. But my question to you is where would Jesus be? In Sunday school or washing the feet of the homeless.


All that lead us to today. I heard Dan Merchant speak. Dan produced a documentary Lord Save Us From Your Followers. In the film, he travels across the country opening a dialogue about Christianity and why religion is dividing our nation. I can't wait to see the film. His talk was both uplifting and challenging; and touched on things that I am currently struggling with in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment